Are you wondering what CMS platforms are and why you need them?
How to choose the best one for building your website?
Don’t worry, you are on the right page, this post will address all these questions… So stay tuned!
A few years ago, digitization was considered an asset but today it is a necessity and not a luxury. Your business success entirely depends on your online presence. With growing technology, demand for highly interactive websites has also grown. And that is where CMS development comes into the picture.
A CMS (Content Management System) platform lets you easily create an interactive website without understanding any code (at least for most of them). There are lots of CMS platforms available, which means you might struggle to choose the best suitable one for your needs.
In this article, we’ll be sharing our top CMS platforms you can go for. Before moving forward to our top cms platforms, let’s first explore what exactly the CMS platform is? What are the benefits of using CMS platforms?
What Are CMS Platforms?
CMS stands for ‘Content Management System’ is a software application that allows you to easily manage content and create a website and is used for collecting, organizing, updating information based on the owner’s preference.
There are various enterprise CMS platforms successfully helping organizations and companies with a lot of content and information to share. It plays a very important role in organizing the content and thus, will be beneficial for such companies. The gradual evolution of CMS websites simplified huge data handling and management.
What Are The Benefits Of CMS Platforms?
- It eliminates the effort you have to put into writing HTML codes and the pain of updating everything.
- It also works towards handling business databases efficiently. It does not consist of one method or strategy.
- Allows you easily manage a website that opens into thousands of pages without writing a single HTML code.
- Allows easy content modification without bothering about the code or changing a single page individually.
- Allows you to easily change the look of your website without any technical or coding expertise.
Read more about CMS platforms and why websites need it.
How to Choose the Best CMS Platform?
So, before choosing the best CMS platform for marketing you must have a clear answer to the following question:
- What is the purpose of your site content?
- What are the technical skill requirements for a particular CMS?
- What are your business requirements?
- What level of technical expertise is required?
- What is the cost of the CMS?
- How safe is it?
- Will you get online support for this CMS?
Answers to these questions as these will help you figure out your priorities and help you get the best CMS platforms.
Best CMS platforms that You Can Choose From:
Let’s take a look at the best CMS platforms to choose from. Here, we have segregated the CMS platforms into two categories.
- Top free CMS platforms
- Top paid CMS platforms
Let’s explore each category one-by-one.
Best free CMS platforms
Drupal is one of the best free CMS platforms and has evolved so much after starting out as a free, open-source CMS framework. It is written in PHP and distributed under the GNU General Public License and is used for the white house, BBC, NBC, etc. With such leading clients, it gains a lot of popularity and trust from a lot of potential customers.
Here we have listed its pros and cons, to help you get more familiar with it.
- Easy content handling: It’s easy to add, update content on Drupal and also provide custom content types that are flexible and offer plenty of options.
- Offer Flexibility: Provide a number of different modules available that you can add to your site.
- Offer Great Support: Support is available via community support options similar to other popular platforms like Joomla and WordPress
- User friendly: Offer great system management, with a built-in system where you can create new roles and specify their permissions and automate workflow.
- Not beginner-friendly: With Drupal, it can be tricky to figure out how to change the appearance of your site or add extras.
- Very expensive: Provide expensive themes.
WordPress is the most popular CMS platform that is based on PHP and MySQL. It’s one of the biggest names in this industry and powers around 35% of all websites on the internet. It offers a lot of extensibility which is what makes it an ideal CMS platform for all sorts of websites.
- Great Flexibility: WordPress offers you the flexibility and freedom to build any kind of website whether it’s an online store, membership site, or blogging website, etc).
- Not requiring any technical skills: The WordPress block editor makes it easy to create great looking customized pages on your site without any technical skills or coding knowledge.
- Great theme and plugins library: There are thousands of WordPress themes and plugins available, allowing you to add extra features and functionality.
- Best For SEO: WordPress is well designed for search engine optimization (SEO), allowing you to create SEO-friendly URLs, categories, and tags for your posts. Moreover, you can also incorporate plenty of SEO plugins to help you do more.
- Supportive community: There’s a huge and supportive community around WordPress. You can join groups like the WPBeginner Engage Facebook group to get support or help with any problems you run into.
- Offer Easy Migration: WordPress lets you download all your content in XML format, making it easy to migrate to a different system in the future if you choose to do so.
- You’ll need to purchase a hosting and domain name
- You’ll be responsible for managing things like security and backups.
Read more;- Why WordPress is better than other CMS platforms.
Weebly is also among the most popular CMS platforms, standing tall with more than 50 million customers from all around the globe. Emerged as one of the best CMS platforms to design and test for online establishment.
- Offer easy customization: All the site elements are drag-and-drop and it automatically generates a mobile version of each website.
- Easy integration: Offers easy integration with third-party apps and plugins.
- Intuitive and easy to use cms platform.
- Affordable: Provides affordable themes and plugins.
- Meet Security Standards: Constantly improving and adding new features and meeting major security standards.
- Autosave Feature: Provide an auto-save function so your work doesn’t get lost.
- Community Support: Offers strong community support to solve problems and find ideas.
- SEO friendly: SEO settings are easy to implement and update.
- Unlimited Storage: Offer unlimited storage but the service restricts individual file sizes.
- Might Face Glitch: A very few times the platform can be glitchy and needs a refresh.
- Customization limitation: Some formatting and placement options are not customizable.
- When you are uploading photos: you have to wait till the uploading finishes before moving on to another part of your site or your work won’t save.
Best Paid CMS Platforms
Squarespace is one of the best CMS platforms, letting people build and manage certain aspects to make websites without any development skills or technical expertise. Aimed mainly at small business owners and ‘solopreneurs’ and powers around 2.6 million sites and online stores.
- Awesome Web Design: Websites Looks incredible
- Support SEO: Offers great integration of marketing and SEO for websites
- Great Integration: Offers great integration for marketing emails
- Mobile Responsive: Creates a mobile responsive website without having to design a separate site
- Customizable: Highly customizable and compatible with a lot of other software and is also customizable than other platforms available
- Customizing the sites can be unintuitive
- Navigation for editing the sites is a bit difficult and clumsy.
- Squarespace has different versions and it’s hard to know which version you’re on and can’t switch among versions.
Explore more on Squarespace Vs WordPress and choose the best suitable one.
Kentico is a cloud-based CMS platform that streamlines content production and delivery while offering developers all the benefits of a headless CMS for building websites, online stores, intranets, and Web 2.0 community sites.
- Enhanced functionality: Enhance website functionality by combining e-commerce, marketing, and digital automation together.
- Easy Import: Kentico Xperience allows easy importing the source code of multiple e-commerce projects.
- Easy formatting: Kentico built-in WYSIWYG editor allows for easy formatting of bullet points and custom CSS styles
- Simple Customization: Its MVC Page Builder utilizes drag-and-drop widgets for simple website customization
- One major disadvantage is that the user does not have access to the laptop or PC, the user has to check the admin panel on the smartphone and it’s hard to work on the admin panel on mobile devices.
- Kentico smartphone admin panel lacks some essential major functions and is required to be more functional.
3. HubSpot CMS Hub
HubSpot, a leading business growth platform, launched CMS Hub — a content management system that offers speed, security, and scalability to rapidly growing businesses. It is a standard version of HubSpot’s Content optimization system (CMS). HubSpot’s CMS allows you to build an optimized and personalized website for every device and visitor. It comes with unbelievable ease of use balanced with trendsetting marketing features.
- Unified publishing: Offer unified publishing.
- Responsive by default: Websites are responsive by default.
- Smart Content Creation: Allows you to create well SEO optimized content
- Google AMP support: HubSpot allows you to enable AMP on your CMS-hosted blog with one click.
- Built-in CDN & SSL: With HubSpot, you get a fast CDN without any setup at all and SSL encryption.
- Limited plugin & theme ecosystem
- No control over backup & recovery
Final Thoughts On Best CMS Platforms
A good CMS not only makes your site faster to maintain but makes it more rewarding to grow your business and make the most of your investment. There are certain aspects that make a CMS platform attractive for bloggers and entrepreneurs – no fees, open-source structure – but it could be problematic when you are a small or midsize business (SMB) trying to scale and grow over time. Once you choose a CMS platform, switching to another one could be a daunting process but with this guide on the best CMS platforms, we hope we have made this process a little easier for you. No matter which CMS platform you end up going with, remember, it must be able to support your digital marketing strategies either natively or through third-party make websites integration.
So choose wisely and get started with your chosen top CMS software right now!
So, tell us which type of CMS platform you are going to start with in the comments below! Or You can reach our Digital Marketing experts if you need professional guidance regarding CMS platforms.